Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I just don't get it.

I was a bit shocked today when one of my co-workers commented on my hair. He told me that it looked great (I checked to see if he had his glasses on). Usually, my hair only looks great on one of two occasions - the day before I have a hair appointment to get it all cut off or drastically changed, or a day that I know I will be stuck at home with NO chance of getting out in public and the only admirers of my perfect coif are two snotty nosed munchkins who only care if they can swing from my lid. My hair is naturally curly, and if it is a day in Vancouver when it ISN'T raining, it can look quite acceptable. Most of the time I am trying to make it straight because frizzy curls drive me nuts and I want to be sure that there isn't a family of rodents and their extended family that has taken up residence in the 'do.

Thanks to darling hubby, I was in a real rush this morning to get out the door and to work. It wasn't like I had enough time to get ready, my second born wakes up sometime between 4 am and 6 am - EVERY DAY. On the mornings that I work, I will get up with him and savor the partial peace and quiet as I drink my fully leaded coffee and attempt to pry my eyes open with the nearest blunt object. How he gets up at this hour in a fantastic mood is beyond me. He is quite happy to play with his toys as I sit at the kitchen table and read the paper. He knows that he is pushing his luck getting me up this early on a regular basis, so he lets me have some time to skim the newspaper and somewhat relax (I am about one step away from being in a COMA at that hour).

So I am taking my time, as I know that we don't have to leave the house until about 7:15 for our commute to work. At about ten to seven this morning, Ken comes into the kitchen, and this is the conversation I have with my beloved:

K - "what are you doing?"

Me - "what does it look like I am doing" (I am still in my sweats, looking like something the cat hocked up, sucking back coffee #3, and my hair is looking like a wet-mop)

K - "I thought you would be ready by now"

Me - "We still have more than 20 minutes before we have to leave" (I am not a big fan of spending alot of time getting ready for work, since I have had kids I have learned how to get ready and out the door in lightning speed if neccessary).

K - "we have to go NOW"

Me - "we do?"

K - "I have a meeting with the VP of the company this morning"

Me - "Oh, I didn't hear the phone ring"

K - "huh?"

M - "You know, the VP - did he just call to tell you to be at work a bit earlier?"

K - "No...."

Me - "oh, so you knew about this last night then eh?"

K - "uh..." (busted).

I love my hubby dearly, and if he misses this meeting with the VP and gets his ass fired, that means that he may have to stay home, and I would have to work full time. Tempting, very tempting....

Needless to say, he made his meeting, and I made it to work. Apparently I should be in such a rush everyday because the number of complements that I got on my hair today was actually pretty frightening.

No comments: