Friday, July 15, 2005

House beautiful...yeah right.

Our house is small, but it wasn't always that way. When we bought this place 5 years ago it was really roomy. There was the back room that we never used, and the spare bedroom that we just used for storage. Fast forward to today - two kids, three bedrooms, and a revolving door of guests that need somewhere to sleep besides the outside garden shed (that is reserved for my mom when she stays for her weekly babysitting stints). But even with all the people, nothing compares to all the TOYS that have accumulated over the years. We have a back area of the house that is the kids' "play area" and is in a permanent state of chaos.

I bought a pretty cool storage unit awhile ago - very similar to this one.



I thought it would be a great way to organize the back area (with two boys, WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING - organized, yeah right). It worked for awhile - the boys had learned to put some stuff away - some being about 5% of their toys, I did the rest. But last week, Ethan discovered the joys of taking all the containers and tipping them out. All over the floor. Making a huge mess. So I told him that if he did it again, I was going to empty all the toys out in a big box and put them in the shed. He tipped everything out and HELPED me put the toys in the big box to go into the shed. So now he is playing with 10 big empty plastic bins and LOVING IT. Almost as much as the empty paper towel tubes and plastic cutlery. Now if he would just fall out of love with everything Thomas, I'd be set and never have to spend a dime on the kids again....

No comments: