Thursday, August 04, 2005

I should have known something was up.

I walked into the kitchen the other day and found my second born asleep. IN his highchair. MID FEED.



I swear this is no child of mine. While I love sleep and food, I don't think I have ever fallen asleep while eating (although I am sure if my mom looked hard enough she would find a picture or two just to prove me wrong). Up until that point, Nicholas had eaten quite a bit which is odd, and then falling asleep on top of that - MIND BOGGLING.

Later that night, he woke up with a fever. Not just any fever, but one that sent my mommy radar into overdrive and had me phoning all kinds of hotlines to find out at what point short of bursting into flames should I take my son to the hospital. I am not a big one for trucking the offspring to the doctor for run of the mill sniffles, colds or fevers. But this was different. I don't know why, but it was. So I loaded the kid up on tylenol and held him for the next few hours while he alternated between demanding "Bob" (the builder) and his cup. Ironic that just a couple of days ago I was thinking about how he used to just fall asleep in my arms and how much I missed that. Yeah, careful what you wish for, I know. He stayed in my arms for about 6 hours, 10 minutes of that was sleep.

Once the fever started to go down a bit, I felt a tiny bit better, but not much. With Nicholas, not only do I worry about run of the mill stuff, but I think about his little ticker, and wonder if anything he catches will affect his heart in addition to doing whatever else it will do. Funny that I almost never think twice about his heart when he runs non stop all day, but as soon as he spikes a fever my fears set in and I just can't shake it. I guess it is something that I just have to get used to.

So later in the day I took him to the doctor. Of course, he pitched the BIGGEST fit while we were there, and wonder of all wonders, his fever had come down from the time we left the house until we got into see the doc. Apparently all we have to worry about is his high pitched, glass shattering screams whenever he sees a tongue depressor.

No comments: