Monday, June 13, 2005

Food tastes better - off the floor.

I never thought that food would be a particular challenge for me. I love it, never shy away from a good meal - or a bad one - and am first in line when I know someone else (my mom or mother in law in particular) are cooking. You would think that I passed on the "I love food genes" to my kids. Well, I got it half right. My oldest son Ethan is a pretty good eater. Really likes most things, will try stuff at least once - if he doesn't like it he just spits it out on his plate (yes, he is about as subtle as a fart in a car). My other son, Nicholas is a bit of an anomaly. He is a challenge when it comes to food. A big, pain in the ass challenge that has found me threatening his cute little butt to feed him bread and butter for the rest of his life. He loves bread and butter. It must be the feel of it in his chubby little paws. If it "feels" right, whatever the hell that is - he will put it in his mouth. If it doesn't feel right it goes on the floor, without ever getting anywhere near his mouth. Must be an unusual talent. One that makes me crazy. The only way we have figured out what he likes so far is to just leave the previously discarded food on the floor and wait for him to sample it later - must be something in the "Mr. Clean" that makes the food taste better. Oh the joys of parenting.

So, foods that feel right are bananas, granola, grapes, garlic sausage, apple, bread and butter, avocado....those are the main ones. Oh the variety. Try making different meals out of that mix. Hmmm. How does a banana slathered in avocado sound to you? To my son it is the equivalent of culinary perfection. Go figure.

2 comments:

Miss Lili said...

I thought my son was the only one in the world who did that. If it's on the plate he won't eat it, but if it's shrivelled up in the corner, with cat hair on it -- yummy!

Anna said...

I know - I have busted Nicholas putting everything from pine needles to slug guts in his mouth..ewwww. I just can't figure it out, and somehow I just don't think that I want to!