Monday, September 26, 2005

The good 'ol U.S of A

We decided last week to take a holiday. I guess it wasn't so much a holiday as it was "a trip with two small kids who do not operate well out of their element" three day treck to Seattle. It was a good trip, but I came back more sleep deprived than I have been in a long time. Going to work this morning was a bit of a break, especially since both boys are quite croupy and miserable (sorry mom!).

We spent a couple of nights in a pretty nice hotel (pretty nice meaning they have cable and a fully cooked breakfast is included in the price). Poor Ethan just doesn't understand that when you turn on the tv at 3:22 pm and Dora is almost over that you just can't start it at the beginning again like you would a DVD. Oh the meltdowns. Nicholas as per usual didn't sleep well, but this time he woke up all our neighbours in addition to Ken and I. Yes, the hotel will be welcoming this crew back with open arms. NOT.

I enjoy going to the US, and every time, there are things that stick out that are different than up here. One that sticks out in my mind is [aper toilet seat covers. They are EVERYWHERE. I love it. It is amazing to me that we just don't have them up here. I guess that is why I don't crap outside my home.

The rest areas on the I-5 are awesome. Fully functional, clean toilets and free coffee. What more can a girl ask for? Up here we are lucky if you get an outhouse that gets serviced maybe once a week. Toilet paper? Yeah right.

One big hassle is that you can't buy banana bread at Starbucks. This is a big thing in this house. Mamma needs her coffee fix, so the boys always get a fresh slice of banana bread at Starbucks. I just about had to peel Nicholas off the young barista's face when she said they don't have banana bread. I thought the world was going to spin out of control. NOT FUN. I am sure that my boys were a great form of birth control for the young happy couples sharing their low fat, decaf, extra whip mochas that day.

I find that the people in the US are very friendly. We had all kinds of people go out of their way to talk to us or give us directions to where we needed to go. Everyone says "uh huh" when you say "thank you". I don't know if this is only on the west coast of the US, but "your welcome" is almost never said. It is kinda cute.

No comments: