Monday, January 31, 2011

We are doing it!

Ethan asked me late last year if he could run in the annual Vancouver Sun Run. This is a pretty popular run that goes through downtown and is 10K long. There are about 50,000 people every year that take part. In fact, there are so many runners that it takes about a 10-15 minutes actually start running once you get past the start line. 

The last time I trained for the Sun Run I did it to lose the baby weight from Nicholas.  Apparently my body liked it so much that I got pregnant with Renee. At first I had no idea what was wrong with me, but soon after the run was done and I started training for the Royal Victoria Half Marathon, I found out the cause of my fatigue.   So one can understand my reluctance to join Ethan in this venture.

However, I can’t let him run it alone. And Ken can’t do it because he has the knees of a 70 year old. So by default it is going to be me that will have to run it with him.

I am in much better shape now than I was five years ago when I ran the 10K race. But I don’t like to run. I have already told Ethan that we won’t be running the whole thing, but will do a combination of running and walking. I suspect that when he realizes just how long 10k is, he won’t have a problem with that. So far the weather has not been cooperating as far as training goes, so we haven’t had a chance to hit the pavement yet. I have run on the treadmill at the gym a few times, so I know at least that I won’t die in the process. 

About a year ago I took up spinning.  I needed some "me time", and the only time I could get it was at 6:00am!  So I try to hit the gym most mornings, and get in at least a couple of spin classes a week.  It has been a great base to work from as far as the running is concerned.  I just hope that the impact from the running doesn't do a number on my shins. 

This is the learn-to-run program we will be following.  It should be an interesting few months!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to following your's and Ethan's progress