Friday, January 15, 2010

The big change over the last six months.

"it'll be fun" she said.

"no it won't" I told her....

My friend D was referring to boot camp.  She wanted to try it, and to be honest, I had looked at a bunch of different companies doing boot camp, but the cost and time commitment was prohibitive.  If you want to sign up for one month of hell, one camp in our area charged $200 for three days/week, and $270 for five days/week.  In addition, they require that you to buy your own stuff too (weights, mats, balls....).  Far to expensive for me. 

D had done her research and the local community center had a beginners boot camp, twice a week at 6:00am.  It wasn't nearly as expensive as the other camps, and they supplied the stuff that you needed.  I reluctantly agreed to join.  We started in July (too bad my 20 year high school reunion was at the end of June...).

The first week was really tough.  After the first day I could hardly move.  I was nearly in tears every time I went up and down the stairs.  It did get easier though. 

We stuck through it for July and August.  And I lost a grand total of ZERO pounds.  But I did feel better. 

I then started to get more serious about my eating.  I liked to think that I ate well, but I was snacking all day and when I wrote down everything that I put in my mouth and figured out how many calories I was actually eating I was shocked.  My version of breakfast, lunch and dinner was basically finishing what the kids didn't eat.  The food I ate was ok, I was just eating too much of it (with the odd chocolate treat).

Fast forward to today - D and I aren't doing bootcamp (it is outside, and the cold and wet just isn't appealing) however we have taken up spin classes, and work out at the gym.  Each of us needs the other to stay motivated, as the only time we can go is 6:00am.  That means we are getting up at 5:30 am most mornings.  We have both lost weight, and I am hoping that we keep this up. 

So what are the chances of having a 21 year grad reunion?  Slim....

No comments: