Sunday, November 04, 2007

My degree is FINALLY good for something.

When I graduated from University in 1994, I had no idea what I was going to do with my life. Fresh out of school with a biology degree, I soon learned that in order to get a great paying job, I needed more schooling. All of my close friends that I graduated with went on to further their educations and deplete their bank accounts.

After farting around for awhile and doing a bit of travelling overseas, I finally decided that I should grow up and figure out what I wanted to do in life. So I went to a technical school, got a diploma in safety, and started my crusade to make everyone's world a safe one. That lasted until Ethan was born, and after my year of maternity leave I went back to work. The small wrinkle in the whole plan was that in order to make the world safe, I had to be ready and willing to travel at a moment's notice (which doesn't work well when you have a baby) and I had just got to a point where I was burning out and needed to find another avenue in the job department. Luckily I was able to do a new job that I really enjoyed, and I have yet to be sick of it (maybe that is because in the last 5 years of being in this job, I have been off work for about 2.5 years for maternity leave!).

Up until very recently, my biology degree hasn't been of much use. However, now that I have boys I am finding it is coming in very handy when we talk about trees, bugs and birds.

We have a beautiful backyard, and are fortunate to have a variety of wildlife. The other day I was sitting on the deck with the boys and we were identifying different birds in the yard. When I was an undergrad, one of my electives was a birdwatching course and I actually learned a thing or two. My trusty Peterson Field Guide has come in very handy, so when we see a bird, the boys want to see where it is in the book. Of course to hold their interest, I also use my "What bird did THAT" book which outlines in great detail what the shit of different birds looks like when it hits a windshield. Since my boys are obsessed with all things poop, burps and farts, this is right up their alley.

No comments: